Monday, November 21, 2011

My Ma, Happy Birthday in Heaven

I know I've written a little about my Ma here

Well, today is her birthday.  She would have been 92 today. 

I miss her more than I could ever try to convey. 

Let me tell you about my Grandma. 


(the touchups done to the pic, like lipstick and nailpolish are just that..  touchups)

She was kind and she LOVED Jesus.  She read her Bible, front to back, more times than I could count. 

The night she was saved, she vowed to never wear lipstick again.  She said that was a conviction from God and she didn't care if everyone else wore it.  She just never would again and she didn't.  I can't remember how many times she told me about the night she was saved, and I would give anything to hear it again. 

She made THE best afterschool snacks.  And she knew exactly what channel our cartoons came on.  She also made the BEST cinnamon toast.  And I later found out, she hated making it.  But you couldn't tell at the time.  She made it without complaining and would gladly make it upon request. 

She got my brother and I to stop fighting one of two ways: separate us by putting one of us in the "boys" room and the other in "Renees" room or by forcing us to watch Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. 



She was my best friend growing up.  I could tell her ANYTHING.  And I mean ANYTHING and she would have my back. 

She was my daughter's best friend.  Christen could tell her ANYTHING.  And I mean ANYTHING and she would have her back. 

Her place was home.  I had a key (still do) and I didn't EVER have to knock. 

She was not a fan of music and that was her one and only complaint about her church.  Too much singing, she would say.  This is one thing we didn't agree on.  There were no songs during her funeral.  That's how she wanted it and you do what she wants. 

Even though she didn't care for long, drawn out worship time at church, she would love to sing to me while we were in the side yard swing or rocking in the rocking chair: Baby Bunting was my favorite. 



She took care of my Pa.  She cooked and cleaned for him.  With a happy heart (most of the time).  The only time I ever knew of her having a job outside the home was before they were married.  She followed him everywhere the Air Force sent him.  Thankfully he didn't have to go overseas during WWII.  He was able to stay in the US being a mechanic for air planes.   



She had 6 children.  One who died shortly after being born.  She never forgot about him.  There were times she would dream about him and wake up asking where her baby was.  Heartbreaking. 

She lost her brother, Lewis Jackson Pike, on the USS Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor.  December 7th would not go by without her calling and reminding me.  The last Dec 7th she was with us, I had to remind her. 

One of her daughter's passed away the year Christen was born.  And even though her daughter was sick and dying from cancer, when Ma found out I was pregnant, she never had a harsh word for me.  She never made me feel bad about myself.  And she never let me think she was disappointed. 

And when Christen came, she always made it a point to tell me what a good mother I was.  Coming from her, it was like being awarded the highest honor. 

She loved Christen, or "Chrissy" as she called her.  She loved her company and I feel blessed they got to know each other. 



Christen was baptized on my Ma's birthday, 7 years ago.  What a special day they will always get to share.  

She loved her family. She prayed for her family. She took care of her family.  

She taught me that we all mess up, none of us are perfect but we have a perfect Jesus and that's what matters.  



I could go on and on and on and may be another day I will write another post.  I believe I could fill a million pages about her. 

Thank you for reading and thank you for allowing me to go on and on in this post. 



Happy Birthday Ma!  We miss you, but we'll see each other again!



Many things to be thankful for today. 


46. memories 
47. a Christian foundation set by wonderful grandfathers and grandmothers
48. a key that still works, so I can go sit in Ma's house whenever I like
49. my nose, that is just like my Ma's nose
50. that Christen has many memories, just as I do, of this amazing woman

9 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

Wow. I can totally see you in that picture of your mom. Not just in the nose, either. :o)

Thanks for sharing your mom. It was a pleasure to read about her.

flower power momma said...

precious to read about your mom. she looked beautiful, and seemed to be inside as well.

i read your commment re: teenage daughter. having had 3 kids w/severe attacks of senior-itis... i know. it is hard.
one of my friend told me she thinks God allows them to be stinkers so when they leave the nest we are more ready. : )
who knows, just wanted to encourage you on this journey. hang in there, take a deep breath, it won't last forever.

stephanie said...

she was beautiful, how blessed you are to have her as a mother!

Melissa said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your ma with us!

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet, Jodi. Thanks for telling us about her.

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Your mother sounds like an amazing woman. :)

Becky said...

That brought tears to my eyes... I wish my kids have gotten to know my Granny like that.. She is still with us but the Alzheimer's is so bad she doesn't know she is still here and it breaks my heart to see her like that...

Love the B&W pic of your Grandma.. She was so pretty..

jonledon said...

Just to clarify, it was her grandmother (We all just called her Ma), and she was the sweetest, most kind lady I have ever known.

Holly said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom :)